What are PMHNPs?
Calico providers are Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners (PMHNPs). We have master's or doctoral level degrees in the nursing model of treatment, which we believe is especially well-suited to mental health care.
PMHNPs are licensed to provide psychotherapy and to prescribe mental health medications. Our training emphasizes the importance of getting the whole picture of the client's experience, identifying both strengths and areas of vulnerability. We help our clients create a path to recovery that addresses multiple dimensions of health and wellness.
Why choose to see a PMHNP?
- Nursing training prepares us to see the person first, not the disorder. We believe in alliance, not compliance, and that relationships come first.
- Nurses are excellent collaborators. We are happy to work with whomever you wish to include in your care, such as your primary care provider, counselor, family, or other supports.
- Nurses are effective. Studies have demonstrated equivalent outcomes, and high patient satisfaction, from nurse practitioner providers in primary care compared to physician colleagues.
- Nurses work hard to earn and keep your trust through honesty and ethical standards. For the last 15 years, Americans have consistently rated Nurses as the #1 most trusted profession.
- Nurses look at the big picture. We are trained to consider such dimensions of experience as nutrition, physical health, relationships, social environment, enjoyment and meaning. This multi-dimensional approach is where the nursing profession shines.
What is the nursing model of care?
- Protection, promotion, and optimization of health and abilities
- Prevention of illness and injury
- Facilitation of healing
- Alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human response
- Advocacy in the care of individuals, families, groups, communities, and populations
Is it clear that Calico Associates love nursing? We do!
That said, we are fortunate to live in a community of talented and caring clinicians of all stripes. We support the amazing work being done by counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists, and social workers across the city.
Together, we use our different professional strengths and treatment modalities to improve the mental health and quality of life for our communities. PMHNPs are a valuable and unique part of this picture.